Duck Breast with Duck Leg Rolls
2 hrs 30 mins
This recipe comes from the Ashburton Cookery School. The full meal with trimmings is for a special occasion or you can simply make the Duck Leg Rolls as a starter like Chinese Spring Rolls. The vast majority of the 2 hour preparation time is the duck legs in the oven. .
- 2 wild duck legs
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 150g mixed mirepoix (onions, carrots, celery, leeks)
- 1 1/2 oranges
- 9 springs of thyme, 3 bay leafs, 12 juniper berries, crushed
- 900ml of good stock (veal or beef will work)
- 12 prunes, roughly chopped
- 12 chestnuts finely chopped
- 6 small sage leafs, finely chopped
- 12 sheets of pre-bought filo pastry (spring roll pastry from an asian supermarket works)
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Chop the onions, garlic, carrots, leeks and celery into small (mirepoix) chunks.
- Heat a frying pan and 'seal' all the duck legs in some oil until golden brown.
- Place the sealed duck legs on kitchen paper and season well with salt and pepper. Using the same frying pan fry the mirepoix vegetables in a little corn oil, when coloured put them in a pan with a tight fitting lid.
- Cut the oranges into small pieces and add to the mirepoix with the juniper and herbs.
- Place the duck legs on top of the mirepoix and add the stock so the legs are at least 3\4 covered. Place some grease proof paper on top of the stock and put the lid on the pot.
- Place in a pre-heated oven at 160*C for approx 2 hours, otr until the meat starts to fall off the bone. Allow to cool.
- Remove the meat carefully from the bone removing any gristle and veins and flake the meat. The skin can also be used in the mix.
- Strain the cooking liquor and reduce down to a glaze. Add enough to moisten the mix and season.
- Cut the prunes into 8 pieces and mix with the chopped chestnuts and sage.
- Mix well and season. Make six sausage rolls using 2 sheets of pre-bought pastry per roll. Add enough of the mixture in the shape of a sausage then fold the pastry over the top, tucking the ends in and seal with a flour water mix.
- To cook the sausage roll, deep fry at 180*C until golden and then place in the oven for a couple of minutes at 200*C to warm through thoroughly.