Venison and Red Wine Stew
3 hrs 30 mins
Another take on a firm favourite - venison stew. This version is kindly sent in by Rob Booth from Forage and Field.
500g Diced venison/beef
1tbsp Plain flour
1 Large red onion
2 Cloves garlic
2 Waxy potatoes chopped
1tbsp Henderson’s relish/ Worcester sauce
1tsp Dijon mustard
1 Large glass red wine
300ml Beef stock
Few sprigs rosemary
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.
1. Lightly dust the venison with seasoned flour.
2. Add 1 tbsp of butter to a heavy bottomed pan with a lid (Dutch oven) fry the venison on high heat until well browned.
3. Remove the venison from the pan and add the sliced onion, cook for 5-6 mins then add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
4. Deglaze the pan with the red wine and return the venison.
5. Add the potatoes, carrots and rosemary.
6. Next add the beef stock and stir in the mustard. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
7. Put the lid on and place the pan in a preheated oven for 3hrs or until the meat falls apart.
8. Check seasoning. Serve with buttery mash, rice or crusty bread.