'Sunday' Roast Pigeon
16 mins (for the pigeon)
Roast pigeon Sunday dinner rather than chicken!
1 Pigeon, carefully plucked and cleaned
3 Potatoes, peeled and halved - for the roasties!
3 Potatoes, peeled and halved for the champ
3 Spring onions, chopped
6 Stems of asparagus
3 tbsp duck / goose fat
2 tbsp olive oil
Gravy of your choosing
1. Boil the potatoes for 15 minutes and then remove those that are destined to be roasties. Remove the others from the heat until 15 minutes from the end.
2. Place the par boiled roasting potatoes in a pan with the duck / goose fat and roast in a pre-heated oven at 220C
3. Spread some olive oil on the pigeon and season with salt and pepper. Also sprinkle with a light coating of cajun spice. Fry the pigeon, breast down first and then turn until it is golden all over. Place in a pre-heated oven at 180C for 12 - 14 minutes (depending on your liking). Stand for 5 minutes post roasting.
4. Whilst the pigeon is in the oven bring the champ potatoes back to the boil. When the pigeon is out standing, boil the asparagus in boiling water for 4 minutes. At the same time lightly fry the spring onions until soft.
5. Drain the water from the champ potatoes and mask with the spring onions and some butter.
6. Plate and serve and add some gravy if required.