Chefs Seasonal Special
A great winter warmer using those pesky squirrels to delight in other ways!
2 -3 Grey squirrels (whole - skinned and cleaned)
2 Large onions (chopped)
3 Green chilis (chopped)
4 Spring onions (chopped)
4 Cloves garlic (finely chopped or pressed)
4 Rashers bacon (cooked)
2 x 400g Tin chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp Tomato paste
1 x 400g Tin butter beans
1 x 400g Tin kidney beans
4 tbsp Olive oil
2 tbsp Chili powder
3 tbsp Brown sugar
3 tbsp Smoked paprika
2 tbsp Oregano
1 tbsp Salt
1 tbsp Ground cumin
1 Beef stock cube
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and then add the stock cube. Once dissolved, add the squirrels and then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour until the meat falls off the bone.
- Remove the squirrel from the pot, place on a board and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Now remove the meat from the bones and shred.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan and then add the onions and chilli. Stir fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the shredded squirrel meat, garlic, and all the spices. Stir thoroughly.
- Transfer the contents from the pan to a slow cooker. Add the tins of tomatoes, tomato puree, butter beans and kidney beans.
- Cook on a low heat for 3 – 4 hours. The longer the better. Stir occasionally.
- If necessary add 1-2 cups of water (or red wine) to keep it moist.
- Serve with some grated cheddar cheese and chopped spring onions.