Roast guinea fowl with cabbage
A common dish in France but just as nice here in the UK.
1 Guinea fowl
1 tbsp Vegetable oil
1 tbsp Butter
1 Onion, sliced
1 Carrot, chopped
1 Leek, sliced
450 g Green cabbage, chopped
125 ml Dry white wine
125 mll Chicken or game stock
2 Cloves garlic, finely chopped
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Heat some oil in a large casserole pot (medium-high heat) and cook the guinea fowl until golden brown.
3. Remove the fat from the pot and then add the remaining oil and butter. Stir fry the Add the onion, carrot and leek for 5 minutes or until the onion has started to soften. Now add the cabbage and cook for a further 5 minutes. Season to your taste.
4. Place the guinea fowl breast down in with the vegetables. Pour the wine over the guinea fowl and vegetables, bring to the boil, before adding the game (or chicken) stock and garlic. Cover and place in the oven. Cook for 25 minutes before turning the bird over and cooking for a further 25 minutes. Check the juices run clear by piercing the meat deeply with a knife.
5. Place the guinea fowl on a chopping / carving board and let it stand for 5—10 minutes before slicing. Plate with the cabbage.