Pigeon Middle East Style
A Middle Eastern dish to add a twist on the normal roast pigeon. The pomegranate contrasts the game perfectly.
2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
1 Red onion, sliced.
50g Walnut halves or pieces
2 tbsp Pomegranate molasses
4 tbsp Water
2 tsp Sugar (heaped)
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 180C / 160C fan assisted, or Gas Mk 4. Place in a small roasting pan which neatly fits the pigeons.
2. Whilst the oven is heating the pan, heat the oil in a frying pan to medium high and then brown the pigeons on both sides. Remove the birds and set aside.
3. Whilst the pigeons are resting, add the onion to the pan with the walnuts pieces. Turn the heat to low, cover, and gently cook for 5 minutes. Pour over the pomegranate molasses along with the water. Now dissolve the sugar into the juices.
4. Return the pigeon to the pan, season with salt and pepper and coat all over in the juices.
5. Transfer all of the ingredients to the hot pan from the oven and cook in the oven for 10 mins (pink) , or cook for longer if thats how you like it. Check after 10 minutes and add a little more water if the juices are reduced too much.
6. Serve with a sprinkling of pomegranate seeds.