James Martin's Partridge Curry
Chefs Seasonal Special
A great game curry from James Marin - quick and easy if you use packet pilau!!
8 Partridge breasts
2 Garlic cloves - peeled and minced
4cm Ginger - peeled and minced
1.5 tsp Mild chilli powder (personally I think I'd go hot next time)
2 tsp Garam masala
1/2 Lemon juice
100g Thick greek yoghurt
For the sauce
2 tbsp Vegetable oil
2 Onions - peeled and finely diced
2 Cinnamon sticks
2 Bay leaves
5 Cardamon pods, lightly crushed
2 tsp Mild chilli powder (personally I think I'd go hot next time)
4 tsp Garam masala
1 tbsp Fenugreek seeds
400g Tin chopped tomatoes
2 Fresh tomatoes chopped
1 Small bunch of fresh chopped coriander
75ml Double cream
Pilau Rice (the original recipe is home made Pilaf, but I thought it took too much time for a quick meal to make)
1. Chop the partridge breast into mouth sized chunks and then marinade in a nix of the garlic, ginger, chilli powder, garam masala, yoghurt and lemon juice. Overnight in the fridge if possible but for at least 2 hours.
2. Place the partridge on a baking tray and grill on a high heat for 8 - 10 minutes
3. Whilst the partridge is grilling, fry the onions in the oil on a medium heat until golden brown and soft (about 8 minutes)
4. Add the cinnamon sticks, bay leaves, and cardamon pods and continue to fry for a further 1 minute. Now add the chilli powder, garam masala, and fenugreek seeds. Stir and fry for a further minute. Add the chopped and fresh tomatoes, bring to a simmer, add the cream and cook for 5 minutes.
5. Add the partridge and stir. 'Ping' the pilau! Serve with some fresh lemon juice, coriander, butter, and a naan if required.