Chefs Seasonal Special
Often relegated as a last choice meal, this goat curry, from the BBC good food guide, will change your mind.
1 Large onions roughly cut
10 Cloves garlic, chopped
100g Chopped ginger
2 Scotch bonnet chillies, chopped
Small handful of curry leaves
3 Time sprigs
4 tbsp Mild curry powder
700g Goat meat (I used back strap)
400g Can of chopped tomato
300ml Lamb or beef stock
410g Can kidney beans
Juice from 1/2 a lemon
Small bunch of chopped cariander
1. Shoot and butcher a goat! (or buy some goat back strap from a good butcher)
2. Blend the onion, garlic and ginger in a blender to a puree.
3. Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole dish, add the puree for 5 mins until softened. Add the chillis, curry leaves, time, curry powder and 2tsp salt. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the goat meat to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes (medium - high) until the meat has browned. Now add the tomatoes and stock. Bring it to the boil for ten minutes. Now cover and reduce the heat to a simmer and leave for 2 1/2 hours. Remove the lid after 2 hours.
5. Add the beans to heat through. After 5 more mins add the coriander and lemon juice. Serve with warmed roti and rice.