General Tso Venison
General Tso Venison Stir Fry - unbelievably tasty!
For the Marinade
- 4 tablespoons potato corn flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 cups peanut or vegetable oil for frying
For the Sauce
- 1/2 cup game stock
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar, or more if you want it sweet
- 1 tbsp Chinese black vinegar or malt vinegar
- 2 tbsp tomato paste mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tsp potato or corn starch
For the Stir Fry
- 1 pound venison, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 dried hot chiles (less if you don't want it spicy)
- 2-inch piece of ginger, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 6 spring onions, chopped
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- Mix the egg yolks, soy and corn flour together with the venison pieces. Set aside at room temperature while you prepare he other ingredients. Mix the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Pour the vegetable oil into a wok or large, heavy pot and heat it to about 180°C. Lay out a baking tray with paper towel for the finished venison pieces.
- When the oil is ready, add about 1/3 of the venison pieces and immediately separate them using a spatula. Fry until they are golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Remove the venison from the hot oil with a slotted spoon and set on the baking tray. Repeat twice more with the remaining venison pieces, frying 1/3 at a time. Doing it this way keeps the oil nice and hot.
- Turn off the heat and let the oil cool a bit. Pour it into a heatproof container for disposal later. Wipe out the inside of the wok, if using, or replace with a large saute pan.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil in the wok over high heat for 1 minute. Add the dried chiles and cook until they almost turn black. Add the ginger and stir fry 30 seconds, then add the garlic and stir fry another 30 seconds.
- Add all the venison pieces and the spring onions. Mix in each of the ingredients for the sauce quickly one after each other. Stir fry 1 minute. Serve at once with steamed rice.