Game Stew by Chef Stephen Jeffers
2 hrs 30 mins
A beautiful game stew for those warm winter evenings
200g Braising venison (shoulder)
100g Wild duck or any other game bird (diced)
1 Garlic clove
Peel of orange
1 Cinnamon stick
6-8 Juniper berries
50g Butternut squash
500ml Brown game or chicken stock
Gluten free flour
1. Cut venison and game bird into large pieces and lightly season. Toss cubed meat in the gluten free flower.
2. Place pan onto a medium high heat, add the butter until it bubbles, add the meat and brown well. Retrieve the meat onto a side plate.
3. Add the peeled shallots and grated garlic into the pan and glaze well.
4. Return the meat to the pan with the spices, orange peel, port and thyme.
5. Add the stock and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer until the meat is tender (approximately 2 hours).
6. Increase the heat, add the butternut squash, and cook for a further 30 minutes.
7. Reduce the sauce well, add the honey and a little orange juice.
8. Check seasoning and finish with raisins, grains, and chopped herbs.
9. Garnish with 20g dried fruit (soaked in white balsamic) and chopped parsley.