Duck breast and roast potatoes
A great recipe for a cold winter's evening with a slightly Chritmassy feel!
4 Duck breasts
125g Duck fat
2lb Potatoes (peeled) suitable for roasting
45g Plain flour
750ml Chicken or game (wing) stock
Salt and pepper
Vegetables of your choice
1. Place the duck fat in a roasting tin into a pre-heated oven at 200C
2. Boil the peeled potatoes (and halved) for 10-15 mins. Drain and then replace the lid and shake to fluff up the edges. Now add to the duck fat and baste all over. Cook for 45-50 mins but check regularly after about 30 mins
3. To make the gravy mix the flour slowly with water ensuring there are no lumps. Once a paste has been formed add the stock, a little bit at a time, until its consistency is like pouring cream. Place over heat and stir continuously until thickened. Place to the side.
4. Remove and sinew or unwanted fat from the duck breast (non skin side). Score the skin and season with salt and pepper (skin side). Now place skin side down on a very hot pan. Then season the flesh side with the salt and pepper and turn once the skin is crisp and golden and place in the oven for between 5-10 minutes dependent on how rare you like it.
5. Whilst the duck is cooking prepare and cook vegetables of your choice.
6. Reheat the gravy just prior to serving