Camp fire Venison Stew
Get back to your roots and cook up a venison stew out in the wild!
1 tbsp Oil
1kg Venison chunks, cut into chunks
1 Onion, cut into chunks
3 Cloves garlic, finely chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
3 tbsp Tomato paste
2 tbsp All-purpose flour
600ml Beef or game stock
Water, as needed
6 Small potatoes, cut into chunks
3 Carrots, cut into chunks
3 Bay leaves
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven hanging over an open flame fire. Add the venison and cook until brown on all sides for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Season well with salt and pepper and stir in the tomato paste, coating the meat.
- Sprinkle the flour evenly over the venison and other ingredients making sure it is absorbed throughout. Add the bay leaves, and then slowly stir in the stock and add enough water so the liquid level comes about 1 inch above the meat.
- Cover and cook for about 30 mins before raising the oven to a more medium heat. Cook for 2-3 hours (dependent on heat)
- Increase the heat from the fire and add the potatoes and carrots and continue to cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper before serving.
- Enjoy whilst talking about your day's exploits in the wild!