Brunswick Squirrel Stew
An American stew perfect for squirrel!
300g Chicken stock
4 tbsp Pork fat
2-3 Medium onions (sliced)
1 Clove garlic (finely chopped)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp Pepper
1 tsp Rosemary
1 tsp Thyme
1 Bay leaf
50g Madeira wine
400g Tin of tomatoes
100g Butter beans
50g Corn flour
- Place whole squirrels in a hot cast iron pot with 200g of chicken stock. Bring to a simmer and braise the squirrel meat until tender (about 30 mins)
- Remove the squirrels and stock to a separate pot and allow to cool to a temperature you can handle the meat. Now debone the squirrels and return the meat into the stock.
- Add 4 tablespoons of pork fat to the empty cast iron pot and fry the onions until golden brown, then add the chopped garlic and fry for another minute.
- Return the stock and squirrel meat into the pot with the onions and garlic to deglaze the pan.
- Add in all the remaining ingredients including spices and vegetables. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Now serve, or add some breadcrumbs to help thicken. Cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Top with fresh parsley if desired.